Faced with a terminal diagnosis, Illinois residents deserve the full range of options for care at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. Medical aid in dying allows terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully.
In June, Compassion & Choices Midwest Regional Advocacy & Outreach Manager Amy Sherman appeared on the Women Over 70 podcast to discuss end-of-life planning and care. You can watch the show on YouTube.
There are nine active volunteer action teams throughout the state working to educate and build support for medical aid in dying among legislators and the public. Compassion & Choices is part of the Illinois End-of-Life Options Coalition alongside Final Options Illinois and the ACLU of Illinois. Learn more by clicking here.
- Contact Your Lawmakers: Though we do not yet have a bill in Illinois, let your lawmakers know your position on medical aid in dying and ask them to be supportive when there is a bill.
- Check out our Virtual Advocacy Toolkit: Find out how to virtually advocate for end-of-life care in the most effective way.
- Share your Story: Stories have the power to change minds. Submit your experience with end-of-life issues, and we’ll help you get your story out.
- Join an existing Action Team in Illinois or start a new one.
- Join Compassion & Choices Illinois
- Sign up to volunteer: Join others to help educate others about issues to improve end-of-life care and expand end-of-life choice.
- Attend an Event: Meet others while learning more about end of life options.
- Schedule an event: We’ll help you host an event to educate others and encourage them to take action.
- Find us on Facebook.
- Learn about medical aid in dying: This summary provides you with everything you need to know about medical aid in dying.
Tools and Resources
Access the Illinois Advance Directive
Use our step-by-step guide to chart your journey.
Los recursos en Español
Los recursos en Español.
Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers
Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.