Faced with a terminal diagnosis, District residents deserve the full range of options for care at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. Medical aid in dying allows terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully.
The Washington, D.C., Death With Dignity Act went into effect on February 18, 2016, authorizing the compassionate option of medical aid in dying for terminally ill adults to get a prescription they can take to end their life peacefully. Through our access campaign, Compassion & Choices continues to educate health care providers and residents of Washington, DC about medical aid in dying and the full breadth of end of life options.
Compassion & Choices continues to work to expand access to medical aid in dying under the DC Death with Dignity Act. Our Medical Provider Advocates Team, a group of active and retired medical professionals, donate their time to help educate others about medical aid in dying. They give presentations to professional organizations, physician groups and medical societies; and meet individually with doctors, nurses, social workers, hospital administrators and more. Through the work of this team and our staff, we continue to add supportive providers and facilities to our Find Care Tool.
- Attend an Event: Participate in virtual activities related to medical aid in dying and advance care planning.
- Volunteer With Us: Join other passionate and dedicated individuals to work to re-enact legislation that improves care and expands end-of-life choice.
- Schedule a Presentation: We’ll explain the full range of end-of-life options and explain step-by-step how the law works – in English and in Spanish.
- Sign up to volunteer or email us at [email protected] to request a presentation in your own community.
Education and Outreach
The bilingual Access Campaign:
- Helps patients, caregivers and health professionals understand how the law works.
- Assists healthcare facilities develop more supportive policies.
- Provides technical assistance and presentations to healthcare providers on end-of-life options.
Tools and Resources
Learn whether you are eligible for the D.C. Death with Dignity Act.
Recursos en Español
Recursos en Español.
Get answers to your questions about COVID-19 and end of life care.
Resources for Providers
Find resources tailored to the needs of healthcare providers.
Dementia Values & Priorities Tool
Use our tool to document your preferences to make sure you get the care you want.