Finish Strong: Putting Your Priorities First at Life’s End by President Emerita/Senior Adviser of Compassion & Choices Barbara Coombs Lee is the guide to achieving the positive end-of-life experience you want and deserve.
It’s hard to talk about death in America. The topic has been taboo, even when we’re aging or terribly sick. But the end will come to us all.
So why not shape it to our values? Finish Strong is for those of us who want an end-of-life experience to match the life we’ve enjoyed—defined by love, purpose, and agency. We know we should prepare, but are unsure how to think and talk about it, how to live true to our values and priorities as vigor wanes, and how to make our wishes stick, even if we can’t lift a finger to make it so.
The usual advice about advance directives and conversations is important but woefully inadequate. This book describes concrete action in the here and now to help live our best lives to the end.
The empowering Finish Strong will guide you through:
- Finding a partner-doctor well-suited to your values and beliefs, who exhibits humanity, deference and candor.
- Staying off the “overtreatment conveyor belt.”
- Identifying what matters most as advancing illness takes its toll, and defining your priorities.
- Having meaningful conversations with doctors and family about expectations and wishes for life’s last precious months.
- Knowing when “slow medicine” is the best option to maintain quality of life.
- Navigating home hospice, the ultimate healing experience.
Written with candor and clarity by a former nurse, physician assistant and attorney who became a leading advocate for end-of-life options, this book’s stories, facts and dialogue will help you prepare for latter days that retain the purpose, grace and dignity you’ve always valued. It can help you Finish Strong.
Finish Strong was released on January 8, 2019. Click here to get your copy of Finish Strong.