Compassion & Choices is building momentum throughout the state to give all New Yorkers the full range of options for care at the end of life — urging lawmakers to pass the Medical Aid in Dying Act.
We have made considerable progress realizing dignity and autonomy at life’s end in two of the nation’s biggest and most influential states, New Jersey and New York. Read about the New Jersey & New York Campaigns: Autonomy at Life’s End.
On Wednesday, April 27, 2022, supporters gathered in Albany for a rally and candle lighting tribute urging lawmakers to pass the New York Medical Aid in Dying Act (A.4321A/ S.6471). The event was live streamed via Facebook Live and Zoom, video from which you can view here.
A Marist poll released October 12, 2021, shows that New York registered voters support “legislation which would allow doctors to prescribe a drug dose to an adult who has been told they have less than six months to live so the patient can take their own life if they want to” by a 23-point margin (59% support vs. 36% oppose).
Compassion & Choices builds on five years of organizing and coalition building to enact the medical aid-in-dying bill.
- Exhibited at New York’s Legislative Office Building and Capitol (see the full educational display)
- Rallied at a Capitol press conference (watch the press conference).
- Unveiled the first of “50 reasons to pass the New York Medical Aid in Dying Act.” (see the 50 Reasons).
- Posted a billboard placed right off the New York State Thruway, seen by thousands of commuters on their way to work.
- Legislative session closes due to COVID-19 pandemic.
During 2020’s Legislative Pause
While legislatures across the country were closed, Compassion & Choices remained hard at work:
- Growing our supporter base. We are recruiting, training and mobilizing voices of supporters to call, email and meet with lawmakers to educate them about medical aid in dying. Join a NY action team today..
- Expanding partners. We are engaging with medical professionals, healthcare systems and diverse leadership to secure endorsements and influencers.
- Pressing for changes in legislature business. We are urging lawmakers to use digital technology when possible to ensure the safety of all, particularly those who are medically vulnerable.
- The medical aid-in-dying bill is reintroduced in the Legislature in Jan.
- Compassion & Choices releases a Medscape survey showing decisive physician support for both the practice of medical aid in dying as well as the NY bill.
- Read the 2019 New York/New Jersey Campaign Update
- Assembly Health Committee holds two hearings on the Medical Aid in Dying Act, drawing more than 50 supporters to testify in favor.
- Compassion & Choices leads the effort to create the New York Alliance for Medical Aid in Dying with our local, state and national allies in April.
- Medical Aid in Dying Act introduced by legislative champions Diane Savino in the Senate and Amy Paulin in the Assembly.
- The Assembly Health Committee passes the bill on May 23.
- Compassion & Choices launches our campaign to authorize medical aid in dying.