In just a moment, you will receive an automated phone call that will connect you to the offices of Senate Health Committee Chairman Gustavo Rivera and Assembly Health Committee Chairman Richard Gottfried.
Here are some talking points for your use during your call:
- I am among the 77 percent of New York residents who support medical aid-in-dying legislation. Thank you for supporting this important legislation, now please, schedule the bill to be heard by the Health Committee before session ends later this month.
- Dozens of your colleagues in the Assembly and Senate have also pledged to support this legislation.
- The New York Medical Aid in Dying Act bill would give terminally ill, mentally capable adults, with a prognosis of six months or less to live, access to the full range of choices at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. It offers hope and peace of mind to thousands of people confronted by the possibility of a prolonged, painful death.
- There are now eleven jurisdictions – ten states and the District of Columbia – where the right to choose your own, peaceful ending is affirmed either by legislation, courts, or ballot referendum.
- The New York Medical Aid in Dying Act is modeled after legislation in Oregon and other states where it has a proven track record of success.
- Please, schedule the bill to be heard and voted on in committee before session ends. Terminally ill individuals cannot wait.