In just a moment, you will receive an automated phone call that will connect you to the offices of Senate Health Committee Member Senator Brian Benjamin and Assembly Health Committee Member Assemblymember John McDonald.
Here are some talking points for your use during your call:
- I am among the 77 percent of New York residents who support medical aid-in-dying legislation. As your constituent, I strongly urge you to support the New York Medical Aid in Dying Act.
- Dozens of your colleagues in the Assembly and Senate have already pledged to support this legislation. As a member of the health committee, I’m urging you to advance the bill before session ends on June 10.
- The New York Medical Aid in Dying Act bill would give terminally ill, mentally capable adults, with a prognosis of six months or less to live, access to the full range of choices at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. It offers hope and peace of mind to thousands of people confronted by the possibility of a prolonged, painful death.
- There are now eleven jurisdictions – ten states and the District of Columbia – where the right to choose your own, peaceful ending is affirmed either by legislation, courts, or ballot referendum.
- The New York Medical Aid in Dying Act is modeled after legislation in Oregon and other states where it has a proven track record of success.