In just a moment, you will receive an automated phone call that will connect you to your lawmakers’ offices. Here are some talking points for your use during your call:
- I am among the 77 percent of New York residents who support medical aid-in-dying legislation. As your constituent, I strongly urge you to support the New York Medical Aid in Dying Act.
- The New York Medical Aid in Dying Act bill would give terminally ill, mentally capable adults, with a prognosis of six months or less to live, access to the full range of choices at the end of life, including medical aid in dying. It offers hope and peace of mind to thousands of people confronted by the possibility of a prolonged, painful death.
- There are now ten jurisdictions – nine states and the District of Columbia – where the right to choose your own, peaceful ending is affirmed either by legislation, courts, or ballot referendum.
- The New York Medical Aid in Dying Act is modeled after legislation in Oregon and other states where it has a proven track record of success.
- There are 55 of your colleagues in the Assembly and Senate who are already signed on to co-sponsor this legislation, and I’m hoping you will make this a priority during this current session.