Compassion & Choices is working to make the California End of Life Options Act better. We are:
Improving the law by removing unnecessary roadblocks
- Testifying. On February 25, 2020, Compassion & Choices President and CEO Kim Callinan and others testified during a select hearing on the California End of Life Option Act. Watch the full hearing.
Defending against lawsuits seeking to invalidate the law
- Defeating suits. On January 23, 2020, the Riverside Superior Court in California ruled that opponents do not have standing to bring their claims against the California End of Life Option Act and that the law was properly enacted by the California legislature. This was an important victory but the fight continues.
Expanding access for patients, training providers and educating medical systems and hospices
- Presenting at public outreach events throughout the year. Last year alone we presented at more than 100 events.
- Assisting healthcare facilities develop more supportive policies. To date more than 80% of large health facilities have adopted policies supportive of medical aid in dying.
- Providing technical assistance and presentations to healthcare providers. We work with providers and facilities to help them understand and apply on end-of-life options.
- Compassion & Choices collaborates with City of Hope. Compassion & Choices collaborated with the City of Hope Comprehensive Cancer Center to host their End of Life Symposium Webinar Series. The webinars, each qualified for one continuing medical education (CME) unit for providers to expand their knowledge about providing care to patients whose treatment is transitioning from curative to comfort-focused care and medical aid in dying.